Friday, March 2, 2012

No PA this week....

The biggest bummer this semester had to be when Kristy told us we would have two fewer PA sessions than we had originally planned for. We only get 40 minutes a week with students, which I do not think is sufficient given that we now have fewer sessions. How do we get a project going and done in this time?

The issue with my group at the moment isn't that we haven't discussed the issues of drugs and how it affects the community, society, and world in multiple different ways. What we cannot seem to get to is finding something we want to do about it. There are some things mentioned by other PA coaches like making posters, but I would rather not suggest an explicit project. I want the students to think more about this problem and how they want to address it.

So, I really want them to get a lot from having two individuals visit our group to talk about the problem of drugs in our community from two different perspectives: one from the Minneapolis Police Department and one from a chemical dependency counselor. These are being arranged for two different days. To me, setting up two different days of the five we have left for these visits is a risky gamble. But given where my group's conversations have gone and what these two visits could mean, I am willing to take the risk. If these students are to hit the jackpot of ideas, it could very well be after they are exposed to the statements of those with first hand knowledge of the problem and solutions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment