Monday, April 23, 2012

Poster making AND 2nd to last week

The last PA session went too quickly and I didn't help things by arriving a few minutes late to my group.

I told my group the days agenda to include:
1) Check-in
2) Poster making
3) Decide where in their community they wanted posters
4) Whether we wanted to have three posters publicly displayed with MCTC's addiction counseling group on the day we present

The first thing the students wanted to know was whether we had a meeting with the principal. No one had gotten back to me when I left messages with them the previous week and the students wanted an immediate answer. This became the first thing on the agenda after we did check-in.

We trotted up to the office and waited after the graffiti group met with the temporary principal. He and the students talked about what they wanted to do and what statements they had on their posters. He agreed that they could be up if they brought some next time that were laminated.

When we returned to the class, I brought out two maps of the neighborhood. The students thought that the best locations for placing posters would be near parks. Specifically, Phelps park and Powderhorn park were chosen. They also wanted to place one poster near the Dairy Queen across the street from Bancroft because they saw enough pedestrian traffic there.

The next thing the students decided was that they wanted to be meet the addiction counseling group at MCTC and provide posters to display. No one thought this was an issue. I think they will find it to be a pretty interesting time on the day we present.

Our last focus was to work on posters. Thankfully there were other markers in the classroom available to use. I also discovered the colored pencils, which they also wanted to use.

One thing I thought took up excessive amount of time was the stenciling. When I made a poster for a college project, it took as much or more time than it would have to write a draft paper. This time consuming act could easily be simplified if I bring in some pre-printed letters and commonly used words. If we are to create more posters next week, it would be best to circumvent extensive stenciling and coloring in of letters.

I also doubt we will have enough time to make most posters if we leave the school to put any up. This is something I will have to talk to our group about next time. The students will need to prioritize what they want to do and I will let them decide. Also, next time I would like to video each group member in preparation for our group presentation. We only have an hour left, so I hope to use it as effectively as possible.



1 comment:

  1. It stinks that time is always the enemy, eh? I hear your time saving devices, but also weight this with the pride of artistry.

    ReplyDelete