Saturday, February 18, 2012

Difficulty in Researching

This last week was probably the toughest group session yet. It really did not go as planned at all. For instance, we were unable to get much searching done for organizations that we could contact and assist our group in finding out more information about drug and dependency issues to include potential project ideas.

What was difficult was that students had a hard time understanding how to use Google searches. I did spend some time showing them some tips, which helped one group member find a local site. However, the others did not

Half of our group did come up with a short list of questions if we are to call anyone up. I wanted to go through a script as well - which I will have prepared for the next meeting.

Another unexpected event was the addition of a new group member. This is great news because he chose our group and wasn't simply placed in it. (He'd be the only member who chose our group first!) Still, this presents a new challenge in that none of the other group members know this student at all.

What made things a bit awkward was that he poked fun at the size of my nose. I'm not sure what kind of test this was. He even asked me if it blocked my vision. Maybe it's the oddest nose he's seen, but I didn't keep conversation there because it moved on its own. I then brought things back on track with our agenda.

Next week, I would like to do something more team building like. I would also like to do something that is on-topic to our group. Another classmate has someone coming to speak to their group and think that this speaker would be useful to my group as well. This is something I am trying to coordinate in addition to team-building ideas. At the very least, our new team member will get and decorate his notebook next week. 

2 comments:

  1. That's...kind of awkward. I wonder why he was doing that? You are (as far as I'm concerned) right to question that, because it does seem like one of those little kid test things. I have no idea how I would possibly react to that.

    I have been jealous of your group for quite sometime though, because before this, you were always the one saying how awesome your group went, and I've been kind of struggling to get everyone focused and on the same page as me, or even each other! Got any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to emerging middle school. Kids do test you and are quite rude about it at times. As a person, it is hard. I remember students telling me that I was incredibly fat and so forth. It is a tough line...on one hand, this is bullying behavior that you need to nip in the bud. It can also be truly curious behavior. On the other hand, giving a reaction fuels the fire. It is a test.

    It sucks. It also sounds like you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete